It’s coming up on Valentine’s Day; that time of year when lots of couples get engaged! If you’ve been following me for a while, you’ll know that Eric and I got engaged just before Valentine’s Day a couple years ago. So I have been there! Since it’s such a popular time to pop the question, I wanted to offer some tips to help out all of you thinking about getting down on one knee.
Five Tips for Your Engagement Proposal
- Make it personal. Don’t feel the pressure to be so super picturesque or grandiose that the proposal loses all meaning. (Unless of course picture perfect proposals on a mountaintop are exactly your thing!) Eric proposed by waking me up from a nap with cupcakes. Umm yes!
- The ring. If she doesn’t have a pinterest board of her ideal fantasy wedding and engagement ring, or she hasn’t left flyers/magazines laying around as a hint, consider taking a trusted and important woman with you ring shopping if you’re not confident about choosing yourself. I know my best friend’s ring size and will definitely make sure I know what she likes/doesn’t like in rings when things get serious! Take her bestie or her mom along. (Or maybe you’ve been dating so long you already know the exact ring she wants — that’s awesome!)
- Surprise. Even if you’ve been talking about it for months and laying on hints (like suggesting she get her nails done “just because”) try to plan something that will keep her on her toes. I’ve talked to so many gals who told me they had suspicions a proposal was coming but were still so surprised when he got down on one knee that they cried anyway! While it’s super sweet for her not to see it coming, don’t stress too much (or you might drop the ring on your hike and have to frantically walk back to find it!) She will just be over the moon to finally take that next step, I promise.
- Get it on camera!! While I seriously suggest hiring a pro to capture your proposal, I definitely think some sort of photos of the event are a necessity. Even if you’re on a hike together and you ask her “in private” it is so cute having that hands-over-their-mouth, tears-in-their-eyes look captured forever. Plus a pro can be in on the surprise and hide out… we’re pretty good at stealth!
- Friends & Family. When you’re asking such an important question, it is important to many to get family and friends involved. It makes for a truly awesome moment for everyone you hold dear to begin to cheer when they say yes. Support systems there through thick and thin… what could be better? Just be sure you can trust them to keep the secret though!
If you are thinking about proposing over the holiday this month, be sure to get in touch so we can start planning the big surprise! Also be sure to send this post to anyone who may be needing some tips on proposals!
Until next time,